St Katherine's Chapel
The possible site of St Katherine's Chapel covers an area of 183m2, containing a discrete debris field composed of relatively small masonry rubble blocks (1.91 length:width ratio) that average 1.54m by 0.84m, with a swath bathymetry derived height of 0.3-0.6m (2012 MBES). The vicinity of the target is associated with a single unidentified building on the 1587 Ralph Agas map. It lies north of the centre of the town, 226m NNE of the ruins of St Peter's church. The small area of the debris field, combined with the relatively discrete blocks and debris field we interpret to reflect a smaller chapel site rather than another church. Size analysis of the 10 largest blocks at each site, reveals that this site is composed of smaller blocks, and is statistically different to the other Church sites (t-test, P<0.001). Bacon (1982; 1988) reports finding carved imposts and other worked masonry from a site that fits the location of this structure. The recovered materials strongly support an ecclesiastical origin, though none of the DIDSON or multibeam data can confirm this. At present therefore this structure remains unidentified, though it was clearly present as a building in 1587. It's vicinity to St Johns raise the possibility of it being St Katherine's Chapel. It is reported to have been lost around the same time as St Johns Church (c.1550+, Gardener 1754), but coastal retreat analysis puts it as later (c. 1650). Further investigation of the site is required in order to confirm its origin and to identify the status of the building.